Thursday, August 02, 2007

Submitting Proposals

Grrrr! Sometimes computers are the pits! I know I'm not supposed to be using exclamation points - that's not the "acceptable" thing nowdays.

I have been trying to print a hard copy of a novel to send to an editor who wants to read the whole manuscript and wants it on paper.

It's not that I mind sending it to her that way, in fact, I prefer to read "stuff" on paper myself. I'm a visual learner, and it makes more sense that way. But when you send a proposal out you want it to be in the most current format with absolutely no errors. I thought I had this one ready to go, but when it started printing, right off the bat, I noticed that I need to delete the title page because my header appeared on it with the page numbering beginning with the title page.

Shucks, I thought, it'll just have to go that way because I don't want to waste paper and ink. The printer had already made it nearly through the prologue at that point. Then chapter one started to print and the chapter started at the top of the page instead of in the middle of the page! I had thought I'd fixed all that type of thing!

So, I cancelled the print job and went through my document one more time. I found an empty page at the end of chapter two that threw the whole page count off even more. I finished checking and everything looks right, now. I've deleted the title page and given it a file of its own, I've saved the document on my hard drive and on CD.

Now I'm going to try printing once more. This proposal had better be worth all the work I've put in on it this summer - a major rewrite and then another read through to catch mechanics problems.

No comments: