Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Tools We Use To Write With

We writers employ many tools in order to create our private fictional worlds. One of my critique group members has a map of the fantasy world she has created. We all use our physical tools - minds, eyes, hands, etc. Included in our tool chest are writing tools; paper, pencils, pens, typewriters, computers.

Add to our tool chest our lists, character description charts, character development charts, character motivation charts, scene development charts, plot outlines and on, and on, and on.

How many of these novel development tools a writer uses depends on the individual writer. "Plotters" make use of many or most of them plus more. The "SOTPers" may use only some rough notes written on scraps of paper. Contrary to the opinions of plotters, seat-of-the-pants writers do plot, just not three-inch binders full. SOTP writers plot mainly in their heads.

Even so, sooner or later, a SOTPer will realize he needs at least some sort of character list with brief descriptions of the physical characteristics of the main characters and secondary characters which appear often in the story. Otherwise you end up in the same predicament that I did with my current wip - I named my villain nothing at the beginning, then Damon, and later Dalton. But I found, after I sent in a contest entry, that I didn't do a find task before I printed the entry chapters off. Damon showed up in at least two places when I read the passage over again. But I found it too late to do anything about it - the entry had been out of my hands over a month! I fully recommend making a character/description list or chart for all writers to save time and trouble all the way around.

The other night I found myself writing a scene inside a cabin. Now, this cabin is very important to the story. A lot of action will take place inside the cabin. For the sake of my sanity, I drew a floor plan of the cabin, of every room including the bathroom. Was that necessary? Yes, for me. I go overboard sometimes, but I might need that bathroom floor plan later. After all, I'm a SOTPer, and you never know.

My cabin is detailed right down through all three bedrooms, the bathroom, kitchen, and the great room which has an area for living and dining as well as a sewing station and office. There are window and door placements, and even two fireplaces in the great room. I haven't done color chips or fabric swatches, but I could. Now that would probably be going too far.

A writer uses the tools he needs in order to create the story. The only question remaining in my mind is; Did I need to create and print the floor plan to move my wip along, or was it a delaying tactic (procrastination) to keep from having to actually write? Hmmm.

No comments: