Sunday, August 12, 2007

Writing Discipline

Is it hard for you to assign a time to write and then actually do it? It is for me. I turn on the computer, all gung ho to write on my current wip (work in progress), only to find myself in the middle of my email account, checking out blogs, or playing Solitaire.

Yesterday I got busy writing on next month's ETWA assignment. I wrote two more stories, a little over 1,800 words. It took me about three hours, but at that rate I could have a 50,000 word novel in thirty days. That's NaNoWriMo rate. Hmmm. Now why doesn't my wip go that easily and quickly? If you know the answer, please let me in on the secret.

These three short stories I've written since Friday night popped onto the computer screen without much effort. Why? I have an inkling. They don't count. Well, they do, but they were just for fun, to meet a challenge. Half the people who were at Friday night's meeting produced the assignment. I didn't get around to it, as I said before. So I couldn't let the challenge die. I had to participate even if late.

The last story I wrote yesterday actually came up to the level of August's challenge, over 1,100 words. I have one more idea in mind. I may try to keep it to the 500 word level and use the longer one for the past challenge. We'll see.

I think working on the novel I want to complete by myself may be the problem. Most everything I've written I've had Elaine as a back up. I knew she would be there to work on it, if I dropped the ball. Wyoming Wind is my baby alone. I may be sabotaging myself. It's probably one of those psychological things, just like losing weight. I do great for a while and then give up. Is it because it's too hard, or do I fear what might happen if I get to a normal weight? I might have to deal with things I haven't had to deal with before. What if I finish Wyoming Wind and get rejected? Could I handle that? I've been rejected lots of times, but Elaine got to share in the rejection. It's not all my fault.

Hmmm. Dr. Phil, are you available for consult? Never mind, I know what he would say. Make up your mind and just do it. So guess I'd better get busy.

No comments: